Tuesday 3 February 2009

Where did you get that hat?

On Sunday, despite the biting winds and impending blizzards, I threw caution to the winds and walked along the tow path from Hertford to Stanstead Abbotts. It was very cold, but I had knitted myself a very nice pink hat with bobbles all over to keep my ears warm, and I'd dressed in lots of layers so that was ok, plus I knew that we were going to have lunch when we got there. After a very pleasant lunch, on the way back, the sun came out, and whilst it wasn't warm, the wind was behind us so was much more pleasant. I suppose the glass of wine might have helped too. Just as well the sun had come out, because after a couple of hours wear, the pink hat had stretched beyond all recognition, and came down over my eyes, so in the end I gave up and took it off. That'll teach me not to knit a tension square. Anyway, on the walk back, as we approached Ware, I saw a house a thought I recognised, and I realised that I had previously painted it. (I don't mean up a ladder with a tin of emulsion, I mean at my painting class, when the teacher had brought some photos along). So I took a photo and then I came home and dug the paintings out. At least I recognised the house!

This is my version in watercolours -


And this is a moody one in acrylics -(weather vane looks a bit on the Aunt Ciss, but perhaps they've had it repaired since!)Anyway, it was a lovely walk of about ten miles, so I felt quite self-righteous for the rest of the day. Just as well I had some exercise on Sunday, because on Monday morning, like most of the country, I woke up to snow, and decided to stay in for most of the day. I unravelled and reknitted the pink hat, on smaller needles, so it fits now. When I mentioned to Pam (who had given me the pattern) about it stretching, she said that hers had done that too. Thanks for the pre-warning then Pam!

No more snow overnight, and they do say it will thaw today, but doesn't my studio look pretty in the snow?
I even ventured down there and pottered for an hour or so, painting some bondaweb and a charity shop frame for one of my paintings. The Leyton Orient game has been cancelled this evening because of the weather, which is a bonus for me, but I just hope the snow has cleared sufficiently for me to get to class tomorrow. Mainly because I've done the homework.


4 comments:

  1. Great hat! Like your paintings too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant hat, and even more brilliant paintings. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hat looked lovely on you today. Your paintings are very good.I wish I could paint like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The paintings are great Gill... you must show me some more when I come round next... that's when you can fit me in to your hectic schedule!
    And why don't you post that photo of you wearing the hat?!
    JPx

    ReplyDelete