Sunday 26 June 2011

My Perfect Cousin

We've had a really good family get together today.  My Uncle Michael (well, actually he's my Dad's cousin, so strictly he's my second cousin, but let's not complicate things) is over from Australia with his family, and I decided it would be a great excuse for a family reunion.  There were 33 of us altogether for Sunday lunch.  And no, before you ask, of course I wasn't doing the cooking - I like my family and I wouldn't put them through that.  It was brilliant to see everyone, some of whom I haven't seen for years, and in spite of that, once we got chatting it was like we'd never been apart.
Michael emigrated to Australia with his parents in 1948, and just before they left there was a family party then too (no, I wasn't at that one)  Anyway, the six cousins posed for this photograph at the party
My Dad is standing on the left, then his cousin Bernard, then cousin Terry.  Seated on the left is my Dad's brother Brian, (I think he'd like me to point out that he is the baby of the family)  then Terry's brother Fred/Dennis - depending on who you're talking to- and finally Michael.
And today, they travelled to Hertfordshire from Australia, Dorset, Norfolk, Essex, and Sussex to re-create the photograph.
I am so proud and so pleased that they were all able to make it - although I can't imagine that it took QUITE as long in 1948 to organise them for the picture.  
Someone suggested we take a picture of the next generation of cousins (or maybe 'second cousins once removed'
And then the next - not sure if they are third cousins, or second cousins twice removed?
A beautiful day - and certainly better weather than they laid on for us when we visited them in Australia.

My Perfect Cousin - The Undertones


4 comments:

  1. Hope our generation will be around in 63 years time!and looking as good.Thanks for a lovely day

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to recreate that photograph. Sounds like you all had a fabulous time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant photos! Your dad's got a slightly wider parting now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gill such a wonderful day! It meant so much to Dad that we can all get together. Thank you so much for all of your organizing we all had a great time. Loved seeing the boys together after 63 years! Thanks for everything. Love Alison (second cousin twice removed)

    ReplyDelete