Sunday 23 June 2013

I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles

Gina and I went into town last week to the Fashion and Textile Museum to see the Kaffe Fassett exhibition.

  
We both really enjoyed it, such a riot of colour and texture and all with a bit of humour thrown in - Gina has written more about it here , but something we agreed on, was that we would both like to make one of these
I thought it looked like a pretty sea urchin, but it turned out to be a hat - like these 
I'm not sure I'd want to wear it, but they did look pretty, and it would use some of my button collection.
The exhibition finishes next Friday, so you need to get your skates on if you want to see it.

After a cup of tea and a piece of delicious cake, Gina had to dash off to get her train, but as I didn't, and as the sun was shining intermittently, I thought I'd have a bit of a walk along by the Thames. I called into Tate Modern (not a lot that I liked in there, I'm afraid), and then I continued wandering along the South Bank where I discovered all sorts of jobs that I didn't know existed.

I don't know about you, but when I left school, I don't think I had much in the way of career advice.  I remember I borrowed a library book called "Careers For Girls" and it seemed to me you had limited choices. 
If you were thin and pretty you could be an air hostess, if you were clever and studious you could be a teacher, if you were kind and caring, nursing was for you, and for everyone else there was office work.
Now I'm not saying that I was a fat, ugly, stupid, obnoxious teenager, but I DID opt to become a shorthand typist.
But imagine, if someone had only told me that you could earn a living making sandcastles......


or that you could get a job blowing bubbles .... 
Which leaves me wondering, what other fantastic job opportunities did they not mention in 'Careers For Girls'?

You'll have to excuse me,  I'm off to write to Cadburys to see if they need any chocolate tasters.

I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles - The Cockney Rejects  (and West Ham supporters, obviously)




3 comments:

  1. Okay... I was neither clever or studious but I ended up as a teacher... probably because I hated flying, nursing involves too much sick and poo and I never could type. But you are so right about careers for girls... there was nothing else. I actually wanted to be Valerie Singleton and present Blue Peter but didn't know how to get a job like that! Fab day out on Wednesday. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, now I see why Gina's been sewing buttons onto her hats! All my female role models were scientists or musicians but very good at sewing and/or knitting in their spare time. Didn't seem to occur to anyone that you could do the sewing for a living and the science and music for leisure...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well we've seen Gina's hat so where's yours? If you made sandcastles for a living they'd all be heart shaped and dyed pink!

    ReplyDelete