Tuesday 31 May 2016

MMM 2016 - Days 26 27 28 29 30 and 31

So much for daily posting then.
I spent most of Thursday (26th) working in the garden in a very old T shirt, but when I came in and got showered I did change into this Camber top for a couple of hours sewing, finishing off my new Navy and White striped Coco tunic, just in time to wear it the next day when I drove back up to Sunny Norfolk again.  
Grace looks cute but the photos don't show much of the dress

so I cheated over the weekend and put it on to take another shot in the garden
Saturday was a visit to a garden nursery, followed by more planting in Mum and Dad's garden, wearing the B&W Coco top
Sunday - a bit more plant buying and gardening in an old T shirt and my me-made Rowan denim cardigan - no photo but you've seen it countless times, and on Monday I drove home in a super loud scuba Maker's Atelier Shell top.
And finally, Day 31 - a me-made Grainline Linden sweatshirt 
in a grey marl sweatshirting from Backstitch, still available HERE.  
My Dad refused to believe I'd made this, saying it look like 'shop-bought', which I think was meant to be a compliment.
I had to show him where I'd stitched a little bit of Liberty fabric into the neck to convince him
Yes, I know you could buy a plain grey marl sweatshirt anywhere, but why would I?  And the reason I chose plain grey was that it felt lovely and was a great price, and I wanted to try the pattern out before I went mad and bought the Liberty print sweatshirting HERE
Oh, and I also wore Me-Made socks, being as how it feels like November again.

So that's it, another Me Made May done and dusted.  A few repeats, but not too many, and its getting easier every year, as more and more of my wardrobe is handmade.  I went a whole year (2015) without buying any new clothes, and I've only bought a couple of bits this year, and frankly, I no longer get the buzz from clothes shopping that I used to.  Put me in a fabric shop, and that's a whole different story though.  In an ideal world I would make all of my own clothes - coats, jackets, jeans, underwear - but that's probably optimistic and a long way off.  Plus, I've got more than enough of the aforementioned to last me a while so there's little point in making things I don't need. 

I've made lots of fancy frocks, and stuff that screams "I made this!" - but now I intersperse those with more sensible makes.  My last me-made garment - the plain grey sweatshirt - is probably significant. A really wearable garment that I can throw on over a pair of jeans for everyday, and not be too precious about.
Now if I can just pluck up the courage to make those jeans.

Anyway, tomorrow I'm off for a bit of Olympic sewing ........ 




2 comments:

  1. I'm rather in awe of your whole MMM thing. And love that sweatshirt. And yes it's a compliment and I'll offer you the same one. H x

    ReplyDelete