Friday 13 January 2017

Windswept

I've just had my first 'staying' visitor in my new house!  It was slightly daunting as it was my friend Gina who is an ace cook and baker, and as you know, my culinary skills are somewhat limited.  Plus, she is currently following a healthy eating regime which meant I couldn't just take her out and make sure she filled up on cake.  I suggested I find some healthy recipes, and buy the ingredients and she could supervise the cooking. 
Before we did any cooking though, I thought we'd go for a long walk, on the basis that she might be so hungry that she'd eat anything.
The weather was better than predicted, so we went to Wells for a walk along the beach.  It was very bright and sunny, but just a tad windy!
But, if you're wrapped up warm ....
Anyway, the cooking lark worked - under Gina's expert guidance, I made fishcakes with stir fried spring greens and broccoli, (get that! me eating green veg!?!?!?) served with a curry mayonnaise sauce, which made the broccoli slightly more palatable.
I even made soda bread ....

Don't worry - this IS NOT turning into a cooking blog.  No doubt by the end of the week, normal service will have resumed and I'll have given up the veg and gone back to Maltesers.

As I've had such a long blogging break, I thought I'd catch up with some of my makes.  This is a dress I made for Grace as part of her Christmas present, although she didn't actually get it until a week later.  It's a little on the big side, but that's fine, and she seems to grow so quickly it'll soon be perfect.

It's and Oliver and S Playtime Dress that I bought as a PDF - I'm usually reluctant to use PDF patterns because of all the cutting and sticking - but with kids clothes its not so bad, and this was really easy to put together. I'm afraid I can't remember where I got the cherry print jersey from, I'd had it for a while and I had thought it was destined for an Agnes top for me, but I am determined to try and use up some of my fabric mountain so it became a little dress.  It feels really good quality, very soft and drapey, but with a nice weight.

The dress was quick to make and the only reason it wasn't ready for Christmas is I run out of time, and because I faffed about for ages finding the prefect buttons for the back, again from my enormous supply.  I loved these heart buttons, but only had two of each size, so I used three different sizes, and made it easier for myself and for Grace's mum by using poppers to fasten it, rather than making three different sized buttonholes.
 
Hayley and Bethany got new dresses too - AND in time for Christmas, but I forgot to photograph those, so I'll have to organise a little baby photoshoot later when they are all together in their frocks.

WINDSWEPT - Bryan Ferry



2 comments:

  1. Just for the record, everything you cooked was absolutely delicious and I didn't miss cake one bit! I had a lovely time... And you better not be back on the Maltesers. Not yet anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressed by the cooking and as for making your own soda bread - I love soda bread but have never made it. Looks like Gina had a good visit. Looking forward to seeing you on 26th Feb.

    ReplyDelete